Sunday, March 27, 2022

back after years lost in the metaVRse

so back in late 2017 I made a trip to Miami and came back with a psvr in my bags. And this small device had a huge impact in my gaming life.

I got the Skyrim bundle and also a demo disc was thrown in. Right away in the demo disc title screen I was blow away by letters floating right in front of me - I had experienced phone "VR" and nothing in it had me prepared for positional tracking really putting me there in those virtual places, being able to get closer to those letters or marveling at my virtual hands holding a virtual gun as I waved it in front of my face and checked all detail upclose. It was all mind-blowing, even all the ridiculous common objects manipulation in Job Simulator, and especially the demo for Atari classic reimagining with Tron visuals in Battlezone. And then I was in Skyrim, with a shield in my left arm and a sword in my right hand and a dragon spitting fire from high above the sky in a large open grasslands...

And over 5 years straight inside VR games, here I am, now on a Meta Quest 2, inside Resident Evil 4, Myst and Sam and Max and wondering when flatlanders will ever stand up from their greasy sofas, put down the old battered 80s routine of pushing gamepad buttons in front of a last century tv and embrace the single biggest jump forward in gaming ever...

whatever, their loss. I just feel like a citizen from the future shipwreck in time among dirty ignorant medieval peasants who think the earth is flat and their pitchforks are truly nextgen gear... sure, buddy...

No comments:

Post a Comment